Have Categories?

Editor
Mar 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Edited Mar 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I am not sure if this is possible, but can you have Categories so something like this:

Tutorials:

HTML

ASP
PHP

I need to make categories and then sub pages (for HTML asp etc)

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Short answer: no, razorC allows you to create pages, there is no build in way to group them in categories

In the future i will create "news" add-on - that will allow you to do that, but for now you can try to use widgets to create menus, and one page for each category  to have list of articles in that category

or

you can really play with it and add few tables to db ex. 1st to keep categories (CatID, CatName), 2nd to keep info about what pages goes to what category , something like (CatId, PageId or PageName), then you could create new widgets that would display categories from database, one that would display news in category

Editor
Mar 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM
razorc wrote:

Short answer: no, razorC allows you to create pages, there is no build in way to group them in categories

In the future i will create "news" add-on - that will allow you to do that, but for now you can try to use widgets to create menus, and one page for each category  to have list of articles in that category

or

you can really play with it and add few tables to db ex. 1st to keep categories (CatID, CatName), 2nd to keep info about what pages goes to what category , something like (CatId, PageId or PageName), then you could create new widgets that would display categories from database, one that would display news in category

Did you make RazorC on your own? Or was it built my a company?

Anyway to the topic. I think for the next RazorC update you should add categories for pages, that's the only thing it needs! And maybe encryption for the DB!

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I wanted to try new asp.net web pages and the best way to learn something it to build something - so i decided to build simple cms :) I 'm the owner of New Media Group, Inc. , so that is why in the code you see Copyright (c) 2012 by New Media Group, Inc.

As i said there will be "news" add-on and in addition to that next version of razorC will have PageType(or somethin like that) column - it will make it much more flexible - really don't want to go into details now...

Editor
Mar 31, 2012 at 7:55 PM

ah ok, anyway will wait for the next update.

I would have made the categories thing my self but I have little knowledge of C#.. :(

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I needed a news section and could not wait for the add-on so I simply created my own using RazorC create pages as a framework.  I chose not to add tables to the existing CE database but instead created a separate one for my custom components.  You can see how this worked out by going to www.stmmparishschool.org and you will see the default page has 3 database content driven sections Announcements /Events/and News.  There are /News and /Events dedicated pages as well to show more or content than would be wanted on the home page.  To administer these sections I just used the code for the razorC PAGE and changed the form to hold the required fields.  Of course I also had to create the other crud functions as well but they too are patterned after the functions for PAGEs. Since these are all time driven content items the "news" and "events" tables store a publish date and an end date for each content item to make them dynamically appear and archive.  From your tutorials you seem to have a decent grasp of the razorC engine and should be able to replicate the work I did